Friday 16 February 2018

February BAM

BAM number 2 in the bag!

There was a bit of opportunism for this one as we seem to be in the middle of a period of decidedly unsettled weather with some large variations in temperatures. Friday was looking good so I decided to go for it, leaving work at 5 and heading north on a varied route bagging various trails old and new linked by quiet roads. I'd scoped out various woodland retreats as potential bivvy spots - I was determined to camp out this month and not use a bothy or any other form of man-made shelter - so it was just a matter of riding until the time was right and finding a suitable spot.

Pitmedden forest was my first choice but it was too early and as I needed food, I'd have had to descend to Newburgh and climb all the way back up again. Plus in the face of a not to pleasant forecast I was also keen to be close to home for an easy escape the next morning. So I headed to Kinross for the Co-op and the chippy and then climbed up into the mid Ochills on the wee road to Path of Condie.

It was 10pm by this time so once I reached the woods I started looking for likely bivvy spots. A track at the side of the road provided a way in then a fire break lead to a reasonable spot in the shelter of trees on a nice soft bed of pine needles. I got the tarp up and my gear sorted in short order and then settled in for the night. 



Cosy!

Sleep was hard to come by again thanks to being far to warm in my -12 rated bag. I eventually nodded of at about 1am and woke to a somewhat damp dawn with wet snow falling around me.



First trip of 2018 for the Jones, I'd forgotten how comfy it is...

Breakfast was made and eaten then I packed up sharpish and opted for an easy ride home thanks to the weather. Hopefully next month will be lighter and warmer!



No comments:

Post a Comment